Zaloguj | Zarejestruj | FAQ
Anonymous

Linux or windows web hosting

+ Odpowiedz

Linux or windows web hosting

przez srinivas » Cz maja 19, 2011 6:30 am

Hi,

I started learning HTML,CSS and PHP here. I want to host the website, though its a not useful website at the moment, through a web hosting company. However, i'm in confusion about selecting between Linux and windows OS for hosting my website. I'm familiar with Windows OS and have zero knowledge in Linux. Do i require to know the OS for hosting any website. The confusion started as all the packages for Linux hosting are looking good.

Please help me.

Thanks in advance,

Srinivas.

srinivas

Re: Linux or windows web hosting

przez HTML.net » Cz maja 19, 2011 8:56 am

Hi,

Normally you can't use PHP on a Windows server. So, if you use PHP you should go for Linux/Apache hosting.

You don't need to know anything about Linux to have a hosted webiste on a Linux server. You just upload/ftp your page to the server. It's very easy.

You can start by setting up a free account on http://www.000webhost.com/

Good luck,

- Andreas, HTML.net

HTML.net
Site Admin

--
Show some love for HTML.net on Twitter, Facebook and Google: Use the buttons on top of all pages.

przez iDana » Pt maja 20, 2011 3:41 pm

For server side scripting using PHP I would go for Linux hosting, it's cheaper than Microsoft and not all microsoft servers enable the use of PHP. However, if you are using ASP, .NET or ASP.net then go for microsoft hosting.

iDana

--
iDana

przez srinivas » Pt maja 27, 2011 5:09 am

Dear All,

Thanks for the replies.

Regards,

Srinivas.

srinivas

przez anderson87 » Pn sie 29, 2011 6:43 am

Linux Operating System is mostly preferred on the Servers, Windows comes under play when some specific requirements are to be fulfilled, otherwise Linux is the server king.

I am running a online business, i expect good results by good Up-time of my web sites with good Quality. I got my hosting plan from the site http://www.TuckTail.com and I am actually quite happy with their services. I tried them with a shared hosting plan and then as my site grew, I upgraded to VPS. Now I am using 3 VPS from them now - 2 of which is Linux and one is Windows.

anderson87

przez samcoles » Pt wrz 30, 2011 7:25 am

Hi! I'm a newbie as well and doesn't have that much knowledge in choosing which is the best type of hosting for me. Linux or windows are two of my best options but still checking more information about it. As for me, I prefer what is more convenient to use base on my needs. Doesn't really matter if one offers too many good packages but, you should be more concern which would be more useful and beneficial for you.

Hope this somehow helpS! ;)

samcoles

przez samcoles » Cz paź 06, 2011 12:52 pm

I was checking on some information between linux and windows and I find a useful article about them here http://www.webhostingsearch.com/article ... osting.php so I thought of sharing it then here :)

samcoles

przez BODHost » Śr lis 23, 2011 1:18 pm

Well you can use PHP on the Windows Server as well. Windows servers support PHP & MySQL, but as compare to Linux it would be expensive. So Linux is highly recommended platform.

BODHost

--
Dedicated Servers
Live Chat | Ph: 866-662-0909 | Email: sales @ bodhost.com

przez atik » Śr lis 23, 2011 2:19 pm

If you want a secure, easiest and cheap web hosting then the linux web hosting is the best choice. You do not need to know anything about it before using. Just go to your cpanel or ftp and look carefully what are situated there. And i think you can do anything whatever you want.

atik

przez Andy » Wt gru 13, 2011 12:41 pm

You can host PHP sites on both Windows and Linux. You don't need to have any knowledge of these servers for just hosting unless you run into any problems. But if your hosting company is good, they'll provide support even if your run into any problems. So the conclusion is, go for the one which is cheaper for you.

Andy

+ Odpowiedz

1, 2